You Won’t Believe Why You Should Hit A 12 Against A 2


Do You Hit A 12 Against A 2?

It is really baffling when you are dealt a 12 when the dealer has a 2 upcard. You don’t want to hit your 12 because the dealer might give you a picture, and you will bust. There are several misconceptions with the right way of playing this hand.

Do you hit a 12 against a 2? Yes, it is only proper to hit 12 against a 2. The result may not be a win, but standing on 12 with a 2 is not profitable. Stand on your 12, and you simply lose more money.

Read this article as I will be explaining why hitting on your 12 is better than standing.

The Facts

Most Blackjack players do not hit 12 because they fear that the dealer is holding a ten in the hole.

\They do not want to risk busting when the dealer holds a weak card. But, when you hold a 12, four cards will bust you.

It will give you a 65% hit survival chance. 5 cards, and it will provide you a 17 through hard 21.

A 2 up card will give the dealer a 35% chance of busting, and a 65% chance to have a 17 through 21.

Standing will provide you with a 35% chance of winning but a 65% loss. Hitting will give you a 37% chance of winning and a 63% chance of losing. 

To start, when the dealer holds a 2 upcard, he is not as acclaimed to busting as he would say.

Next, your chance to bust is not as great as you think it is. Overall, it appears that hitting the 12 will be the best choice than standing.

Check out the following examples:

  1. Assume you will win 2% more times than standing. In monetary value, this means you will lose $26. That’s also a loss. The real question here is, do you prefer losing $26 or $30?

  2. Assume you will win 35% of the time standing your 12 against a dealer’s 2.

    It subsequently means you will lose 65% of the time. It is a fact, although this is not the outcome you were expecting. When you stand on your 12 when the dealer holds a 2 will never be a profitable play. It will only make you lose more than you win in the long run.

12 vs. 2 In Blackjack

You are dealt with a seven and a five totaling a hard 12, and the dealer must stand on soft 17. What do you think would be the best move?

First, this play will cause confusion and headaches to some players, especially the newbies. If you have 12, there’s a big chance that you will bust with a ten-value card. It is the common dilemma of several players.

In this situation, the dealer must draw a couple of ten cards to break. Keep in mind that logistically speaking, the odds are against this happening. Remember that non-tens beat ten value cards in the deck with an average of 2.25 to 1.

You have to improve your hand and counting techniques.

Options

You can either hit or stand when dealt with a 12. However, in some cases, you can split to get a higher chance of winning.

Blackjack is also a counting game. It takes a skilled casino player to master the art of card counting. It typically takes years of practice to master card counting and make the right decision.

In most cases, the chances of you losing are higher than the chances of you winning. But if you ever see a chance to cut down your loss, grab it.

12s In A Pair Of 6s

When you are dealt with a 12 that consists of a part of 6s, you have an option to split the 6s. After splitting, you can now play two hands against the dealer’s 2 upcards.

When you split and play 6 with a dealer’s 2, you will have a 43% chance of winning. It simply means you have increased your chances of winning when you decide to split than to hit.

In different words, starting with a 6 is better than starting with a 12. The right strategy here is to split a pair of 6s against a dealer’s 2 upcards.

But, it is an exception if you are playing a 4-, six-, or eight-deck game. You can’t double down after splitting with this play. Therefore you should hit 6’s against a 2.

Dealing With A Soft 12

You can be dealt with a soft 12. It is Ace-Ace, which is actually a no brainer. Regardless of what the dealer’s upcard is, you should split a pair of aces.

Two things should come to mind if you don’t hit a non-pair 12 against a dealer’s 2;

  1. When the remaining cards contain high-value vs. small-value cards. It increases your chance of busting if you decide to hit 12. Card counters often stand on 12 when their count gets slightly positive.

    It means that more higher cards than smaller cards will remain unplayed in the deck of cards. The second time you see a player standing on 12 against the dealer’s 2, think twice before uttering that he’s a nerd.

    There is a big possibility that he is actually a skilled card counter playing it right – winning more, losing less.

  2. Justifying deviating from hitting 12 against a dealer’s 2. In tournaments, there is sometimes a rule specifying that the double-down card is dealt face down. Rather than hitting your 12, you can double down for a chip. This move is a high risk for busting but will allow you to disguise your hand’s outcome.

It is a great strategy when used on the last few hands during a closely contested tournament.

MULTI-CARD 12

There will be a time where your 12 is composed of three or more cards. For example, 5-3-4 or 2-3-A-6. There’s not much of a problem here. Just follow the basic strategy and always hit.

When a dealer shows a 2 upcard, always hit, regardless of the number of cards that composed your 12.

Conclusion

When you are dealt with a 12 against a dealer’s 2, you have to look at your card and think wisely. More than a game of chance, blackjack is a game of card counting.

Recent Posts